29 March 2009

Walking in high heels


I came across an extremely usefull article I think every woman should read (well, all of us who have shoe fetish). It explains everything from walking in heels, to possible long term problems ocurring when not done properly.

Some important tidbits I thought needed to be shared:
  • Stilettos require constant balance from the upper leg, causing the muscles of
    the backside to tense and appear pert and ready for mating...
  • To walk gracefully in high heels, take short steps, as opposed to long strides, and come down in a heel-toe, heel-toe motion, with most of the weight distributed on the ball of the foot...

On six inch heels (but also regular heel wearers):
I wanted to hear from you guys: do you wear heels on a daily basis? Or only sometimes?
If so when? How high are your heels usually? Feel free to share your point of view.




I'll wear 4 inch heels. Not higher. I can't walk very long in them either to be honest but I love how they instantly spice up a simple outfit. Even if they are 3 inch heels. I'm also avoiding the THIN stilleto's ever since I almost fell on them. But everyday I'm usually wearing flats/sandals.
  • If the ball of the foot does not touch the floor, then the heels are too
    high for the foot and must not be worn standing up. If all the weight is on the
    toes only, severe damage will be caused that could need surgery to be corrected.
    To be able to walk in heels this high, it's probably necessary to be an imperial
    (British) size seven or above...
  • Walking in six-inch heels is very different to walking in two-inch, or even four-inch heels, so be very careful and don't rush...
  • Under no circumstances drive a car with your heels on. Not only do you have less control over the car, but it will damage your shoes - and they aren't cheap at this height. Keep spare shoes in the car for driving, or have someone drive you.
  • Wearing extremely high heels can damage the feet, especially if the toes are pointed, or the shoes are too tight. Damage can sometimes be so extreme that the sufferer can never wear any high heel ever again.
  • Standing for long periods of time in high heels can cause deep vein thrombosis (DVT), although standing even in low heels carries this risk. This is a condition in which blood clots form in deep veins, mainly in the legs. DVT has also been linked to sitting for long periods of time, especially when there is not much room to move the legs. Any movement of the legs can help to prevent this.


6 comments:

InnyVinny said...

I don't wear them everyday, but...I'll give it about 65-70% of the time. I don't really like stiletto heels unless there's a platform and I rarely go higher than 4" without a platform. I couldn't walk if the ball of my foot wasn't touching the bottom of the shoe.

Usually, they're pretty comfortable, but I'm sitting down for most of the day.

Meg said...

I usually wear flats, since I'm tall as it is and not overly coordinated. I'll wear heels on special occasions though.

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

Great post. These are must-knows for all ladies. Thanks!

Ugochi @ Beauty 365 said...

nice post.

although i love my heels, i only really wear them out at night, in the office or any other place that i can stand around and look cute :) usually 3-4 inches!

♥ Marta ♥ said...

That is an interesting article and the facts are scary... Personally, I don't think that feet need to suffer for beauty(and I love high heels). I think that there's always a compromise :)

P.S. And of course I remember you,I would definitely recommend Juicy and Bloch.. they are pricey but soo worth it. I love flats and those two, know how make a comfortable and pretty flat.

Have a wonderful day,

Marta

bridechic said...

Thanks for sharing this. Most of my heels are so high I'm surprised I haven't fallen flat on my face . . .Great post

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...